Saturday, July 23, 2011

McQueen Park to Kiwanis Park Loop


Today I decided on a trek across the Western Canal which is an ongoing city project that runs E/W thru Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe. Taking this route, I’d start out in Gilbert at McQueen Park and loop out and around Kiwanis Park in Tempe (approximately 9 miles away).

I ventured out about 8:00 this morning, as quietly as a bull in a china shop, though I don’t think I woke anyone. Got a little smarter this time… picking up some power bars and a Gatorade PRIOR to the point where I thought I was going to pass out and die (Yes that was last weekend.) Got my new Hydration pack loaded up (always nice to have pockets) and was off on my adventure! (Review on that in the near future.)

 Leaving from McQueen Park and heading towards South Mountain
The trail starts off in the dirt as this section of this $18 million project has not yet been started. Its quickly noticeable that there is quite of bit of work left to do on this trail since there are still several “major” roads that need crossing along the trail that still have no crossing lights or even crosswalks. “Insert archaic Frogger comment here.” Navigating across these roads proved fairly simple with Saturday morning traffic being at a minimum on most of the roads. Slackers… where is everyone?

Drought? Really?

Loop 101.. that doesn't really Loop
"Informative Sign" [Hard to Read]

Interestingly enough, I "closed" a loop in a riding adventure I went on many, many years ago, and when I pulled into the area I had an instant feeling that I'd been there before. That point, where the canal ends and the trail starts to head north, had been the end of a riding loop from when I had lived in Tempe in the late 90's. I had turned around at this point to head home some 10+ years ago. (Yes, apparently I've been here, for the most part, for 18 years later this year.) Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool.

No ducking for rogue golf balls!



End of my Loop for today on the Western Canal
Entrance to Kiwanis
           I've reached Kiwanis!! I've always loved this park. I wish Chandler had some lakes like this. Unfortunately, it seems, they only build lakes in Chandler for rich people and their houses AND then they gate their communities so we don't get to see them at all. Thanks Google Earth for letting me see what only the rich can afford. Pffftt...

They were following me!!
Breakfast Break
           The shot above is where I chose to take my breakfast break and chow down on a PowerBar and Gatorade before heading the 9 miles back home. This is a very peaceful spot, was very quiet and serene... BUT if I stayed too long I would be headed right into Snoozefest 2011. The ducks don't deserve to hear me snoring! Time to get moving and head home.

Cool Bridge
 
Heading back, it’s always nice to see old people in their sleek gear and expensive bikes fly by…just like they do in their Caddies on the freeway… NOT. Sure makes my “I think I can” engine go into hyper-drive! Of course two minutes later, my burst of energy is spent, I’m breathing like I’d just ran a marathon… and they are way beyond my field of vision and quickly fall off into obscurity… I’m back into my iTunes playlist thinking I’m hauling butt once again. I’m telling you, some of those old people can go! Good for them.. for now… I can only aspire to be that fast. 

Not the angle I wanted but you get the idea...or do you?

Today's ride was about 17.5 miles, and done in about 1:30, not a great pace but lots of new views which is as important to me as the pace. Hope you enjoyed, Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment